Christmas is a time for giving, and with the big day rapidly approaching you need to make sure you’ve got everyone ticked off the list. If you’ve got a bird watcher in your life you can’t go wrong by giving them a new pair of binoculars, but of course, it’s never as simple as it first appears. You need to choose wisely to ensure the recipient’s eyes light up on Christmas morning, so just how can you go about doing that? Here are a few top tips to help you out:
• Magnification is key. When focusing on a single object, which the recipient generally will be in this case (they might be watching a bird in flight or roosting, for example), magnification is incredibly important and can make all the difference to the overall performance.
• Consider the field of view. A wide field of view may not be as important in bird watching as the magnification, but you still need to make sure you’re getting a quality pair that can offer a decent view.
• Consider the objective lens diameter, light transmission and exit pupil measurement. These features will be important if the user is planning on doing a spot of bird watching in low light conditions such as sunrise or sunset, with them working in combination to improve brightness and clarity.
• Does the recipient wear glasses? This will often have an effect on the style you eventually go for, and you’ll need to check the eye relief—the distance the eye can be from the eyepiece whilst still having the full field of view—with someone that wears glasses needing an eye relief of more than 14mm (or 17mm if they wear thick pairs).
• Consider the size and weight. If the binoculars will be carried around for long distances you’ll need to make sure you’re getting a fairly light, portable pair, although remember that compact options will have smaller objective lens and exit pupil measurements which means they won’t perform quite so well in low light conditions.
• Quality and price. These will of course be major considerations, and whilst you don’t want to spend a fortune you need to make sure you’re getting a quality pair that’s built to last. That’s why careful research will always be important, so why not take a look around?
Find the bird watching equipment you’re after
Here at Sherwoods we’ve got all the products you could need to ensure you find the right gift, covering everything from scopes to night vision to give the bird watcher in your life exactly what they’re looking for. We can offer help and advice to ensure you choose wisely and with great prices you won’t have to spend a fortune, and because we only stock the best products from leading manufacturers you can be confident in getting a quality result. Choosing the right bird watching binoculars can be easier than you think, and with a bit of time and attention (and some help from the experts) you’ll find the perfect gift this Christmas.
There are some things that deserve to be explored, and the night sky is definitely one of them. If you’ve ever gazed up at the stars and thought you wanted to take a closer look, what’s stopping you? With a keen interest, the right equipment and the right location (you ideally need to be away from city lights if you want to get the best view) you can be a backyard astronomer with ease, and it isn’t hard to see the appeal of this hobby.
The beauty of the night sky
The night sky is a fascinating thing. People spend years studying it and we still only know a small part of what’s actually out there, and that mystery only adds to the appeal. At the simplest level you’ll witness stunning constellations and could go on from that to view planets and even whole galaxies light years away—what you’ll see is only limited by the abilities of your equipment. Gazing up at the night sky can be an awe-inspiring event for those that really think about it, having the power to make us feel incredibly small, and there’s something truly magical about looking up at it in all its glory.
Stay on top of new discoveries
In the world of astronomy new discoveries are happing all the time, and there’s no reason you can’t be a part of it. Over the last couple of decades the cost of stargazing equipment has dropped dramatically, and now it’s perfectly possible to have your very own mini-observatory without spending a fortune in the process. The equipment has become affordable so people can now buy products once reserved for professional observatories, giving amateurs the opportunity to do scientific observations and be a part of this exciting industry—yes, a lot of amateur astronomers are actually contributing to science, and you could easily be one of them.
Get the telescopes you need
Of course, the only way you can make the most of your passion is if you’ve got the equipment to suit, and that’s where we can help. Here at Sherwoods Photographic we’ve got a fantastic range of all the astronomical telescopes and accessories you could ever need, covering all ages and abilities from the novice right up to the experienced astronomer, ensuring everyone can enjoy this most fascinating of sciences for themselves.
And, we don’t expect you to spend a fortune for this kind of equipment either. When you come to us you won’t need to pay over the odds to get the products you need with quality and value being of primary importance, and because we specialise in binoculars and scopes of all kinds you can be confident in finding the products to suit. Whether you’re viewing it as a hobby or are starting to take it a bit more seriously you’ll need the equipment that can help you make the most of the night sky, so take a look around and you’ll soon have the tools you need to be a backyard astronomer extraordinaire.
Sherwoods Photo Ltd Orders & Information Telephone 01789-488880
Registered Office: The Arden Centre, Little Alne, Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire, B95 6HW - Registered in England No.00666856
Prices, availability, appearance, product descriptions, and accessories are based on available manufacturer information and are subject to change without notice.